Most of us who have a pinterest account will be the first to admit that it’s the place we go to pin the life we want to have, not necessarily the one we’re living. My advice? Ignore the chatter and keep on pinning, a little motivation never hurt.
Instead of drooling over the foods I’ll never try, today I made one of those recipes a reality. Ripe avocados were my motivation, and this recipe was my inspiration. The final product was tasty, healthy and colorful:
If you’ve never tried Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah), you’re in for a treat. Quinoa is a grain-like seed that makes for a delicious gluten free substitute for other grains, like couscous or pasta. Quinoa is a complete protein by itself (can you say superfood?), easy to digest AND the red variety is more aesthetically pleasing. This stuff is the bomb! Even better? At around $3, this protein source is a lot cheaper than most.
While I mostly followed the recipe, I made some small changes to jazz it up a bit: I nixed the salt because the canned corn and beans already provide you with a sodium fix. Also, I didn’t have cilantro or lime juice on hand, so I used onion, garlic and cumin for added flavor.
Quinoa & ‘cado (adapted from $5 Dinners)
Time: ~35 minutes
Difficulty: Basic sauteing and cutting, you can handle it.
Serves: 4 people and 1 birdie, plus enough leftovers for one lunch
- 7 oz box red quinoa
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can mexican corn (corn w/ red and green peppers)
- 1 avocado or 1/4 per serving
- 3 cooked and sliced chicken breasts (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- cumin & pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside and keep warm
- In a separate pan (while quinoa is cooking) saute olive oil, minced garlic and the diced onion
- Once onion is cooked through, add canned beans and corn until heated thoroughly and soft
- Combine above concoction with cooked chicken breasts and Quinoa
- Season with pepper and cumin
- Transfer to plate, garnish each with 1/4 sliced avocado and eat your heart out!!!
The verdict? I loved it and so did everyone else (including Jolee).
I hope you have some relaxing, delicious and memorable plans in store for yourself this weekend! As for me, I’m off to finish packing for some quality family time up on Long Island. Even though we hit the road at 5am for a 7 hour drive, its completely worth it when I get to see the water again.
- Student loan payments got you down? Click here to enter a sweepstakes that pays them off up to $5,000!!! (ends 3/17)
- Follow my pins to get plenty more delicious inspiration.
- Use this weekend to get crafty. Whether its a recipe, new organizing system or a do-it-yourself project, make one of your pins a reality too. Definitely fill me in, I’m always curious to see how things turn out!
- Retail therapy FYI: H&M is currently having a big sale. Check it out for me